Intel Tiger Lake 6x GbE Network Appliance supports pfSense
If you are looking for a network appliance with a recent processor that supports pfSense, you might be in luck. The HUNSN RS36a is a mini PC-style device with six Gigabit Ethernet ports and featuring an Intel Core i5-1135G7 Tiger Lake processor supporting up to 64GB RAM, 2.5 inch SATA and mSATA SSD that is sold on Amazon for $ 527.99 and up.
The company claims that the system is compatible with many FreeBSD-based router systems, Linux distributions, and Windows operating systems, and it has already been tested with pfSense, Untangle, OPNsense and other open source solutions for firewalls, VPN, network security, etc..
HUNSN RS36a Specifications:
- SoC – Tiger Lake Quad-Core Intel Core i5-1135G7 @ 2.50GHz / 4.2GHz (Turbo) Processor w / 8MB Cache, 80EU Intel Iris Xe Graphics; 15W TDP
- System memory – 2x DDR4-3200 SODIMMs, up to 64 GB RAM
- Storage – 1x mSATA SSD socket, 1x 2.5 inch SATA HDD or SSD
- 6x Gigabit Ethernet ports via Intel i211 10/100 / 1000M Ethernet Controllers
- Optional 4G LTE model with SIM card slot
- Video output – HDMI port
- USB – 4 USB 3.0 ports
- Serial – RJ45 COM port
- Miscellaneous – Reset button, power button, LEDs
- Power supply – 12V DC up to 10A
- Dimensions – 178 x 126 x 55 mm (aluminum housing without fan)
- Weight – 1.5 kg
- Temperature range – In operation: 0 Â° C to + 70 Â° C; storage: -20 Â° C to + 80 Â° C
- Relative humidity – 10% ~ 90% (non-condensing)
The HUNSN RS36a comes with an AC adapter, power cord, and warranty card. The company also mentions support for automatic power-on, network wake-up (WoL), system power management, and temperature management. If you want to get an idea of ââhow well the Intel Core i5-1135G7 Tiger Lake processor performs, check out the Beelink GTi 11 Mini PC review and benchmarks with Windows 11 and Ubuntu 20.04. You’ll obviously miss the firewall / pfSense references from this review, but it’s a start.
The price of $ 527.99 is for a barebone system with no RAM or storage, and a full system with 4GB of RAM and 32GB of storage costs $ 573.99, while the high-end model offered on Amazon is sold for $ 859.99 with 32GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD. [Update: the price starts at around $435 on Aliexpress for the same model, but called Partaker H2. See comments section.]
Support CNX software! Donate via Pay Pal Where crypto-currencies, become a patron on Patreon, or buy sample reviews